Ride Bikes. Travel. Do Good.
In 2009, we sold everything we owned to travel by bike. Over the following three years, we pedaled across beautiful landscapes, connected with kind-hearted people, and explored dozens of small and rural communities – all the while, sharing stories from our travels, with the goal of inspiring others to also travel by bike.
Along the way, we began to recognize the ways in which bicycle travel can bring economic development to rural areas – and we began to partner with community members and rural tourism advocates to develop and grow the concept of bicycle tourism.
For us, bicycle tourism is about place-making, community development, and rediscovered hometown pride. It is a low-investment, low-impact, sustainable way to bring new people into an area, while maintaining the character that makes a community unique. Bicycle tourism is also a way to give back. We will never be able to repay the kindnesses we were shown while traveling, but we can pay it forward by helping others revitalize their communities via the bicycle.
Now based out of Portland, Oregon, we work with communities and agencies who are using bicycling as an economic development tool. We speak and consult about how to become a successful bicycle tourism destination, and we create content marketing collateral that tells the story of a destination from a bicycling perspective.
“Russ and Laura are engaging, enthusiastic and their passion for bicycle tourism is contagious.” – Brooke Miller, Social Media Manager, Iowa Economic Development Authority
“The Travel Oregon team is grateful to have [Russ and Laura’s] expertise in storytelling, photography and videography that shoots straight from the heart and captures the true essence of why one should get on two-wheels to see the world.” – Kristin Dahl, Director of Destination Development, Travel Oregon
Highlights from our recent client work:
• Promotional videos and supporting content for each Scenic Bikeway; Travel Oregon
• Public outreach video series about the Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail; Oregon Department of Transportation
• Photography and written content about bicycling in Iowa: Wabash Trace, Decorah, Grinnell; Travel Iowa
• Promotional video about Cycling in the Southwest; Visit El Paso and Las Cruces CVB
• Community Consultations: Ridgeland, Mississippi; Haywood County, North Carolina
• Active Membership & Participation: Bike-Friendly Business Program Working Group, Gravel Riding Working Group; Travel Oregon
• Active Membership & Participation: National Bicycle Tourism Conference Organizing Committee
Partial list of recent speaking engagements:
• Lodi Bicycle Summit; Lodi, California (2015)
• Nevada Bicycle & Pedestrian Summit; Henderson, Nevada (2015)
• International Trails Symposium; Portland, Oregon (2015)
• Alabama State Bicycling Summit; Montgomery, Alabama (2015)
• National Bicycle Tourism Conference (2013, 2014)
• Two-Wheeled Tourism Panel; Waterford, Ontario, Canada (2014)
• ChangeMaker Program Events; University of San Diego, California (2014)
• Iowa State Tourism Conference; Council Bluffs, Iowa (2014)
• Community Meetings; Malvern, Perry, Ankeny, Iowa (2014); Fairhope, Alabama (2015)
• Texas Trails & Active Transportation Conference; Fort Worth, Texas (2014)
Work with us
To learn more about working together to develop and promote your bicycle tourism destination, send us an email.