We believe in bicycle travel.
It all started in 2009, when we made a bold decision to sell everything we owned and travel by bicycle. We pedaled 18,000 miles across the US and New Zealand, in a meandering three-year-long adventure; all the while, sharing stories from our travels, with the goal of inspiring others to also travel by bike.
Along the way, something remarkable happened… We started to see how bicycle travel was creating economic returns in the small and rural communities we visited. We started to meet people who also saw the impacts and who were taking steps to entice bike travelers. And we started to tell these stories, because we knew from experience that the best places to travel by bike are the ones who are friendliest to you and your bicycle.
In 2012, we stopped traveling continuously and re-directed our creative energy into promoting bicycle travel full-time, all with one goal in mind: to grow bicycle travel into a welcoming, mainstream activity.
To achieve this goal, we operate on a few basic principles:
• Bicycle travel is fun, and the best way to really experience a place.
• Bicycle tourism creates a framework within which communities can better understand people on bikes, and develop and market the best experiences for them.
• Bicycle travelers are drawn to small and rural communities for their unique characteristics, and the most successful bicycle tourism initiatives retain these local qualities.
• Successful destinations offer quality cycling opportunities, as well as a variety of other experiences that entice visitors to stay longer (dining, wine tasting, birding, hiking, etc).
• The simplest ideas are always best.
In our client work, we draw on our personal bike travel experiences and skills in storytelling, videography, and community development, to help develop strong bicycle tourism destinations and compelling marketing. We take on projects which we believe in personally and which fit with our overall mission of growing bicycle travel. We work with destinations who are committed to developing quality cycling assets and maintaining a good relationship with the local cycling community, who trust our intuition and operating principles, and who take an active role in the ongoing success of their initiative.
“Russ and Laura are passionate advocates for the power of cycling to transform communities and destinations. I’ve never met a duo who lived their values so completely through their work. But beyond advocacy, they are wonderful storytellers … I highly recommend them.” – Holly Macfee, Vice President, Global Brand Strategy, Travel Oregon
Highlights from our recent client work:
• Promotional videos and supporting content for each Scenic Bikeway; Travel Oregon.
• Promotional video about Cycling in the Southwest; Visit El Paso and Las Cruces CVB.
• Community Consultations: Ridgeland, Mississippi; Haywood County, North Carolina.
• Active Membership & Participation: Bike-Friendly Business Program Working Group, Gravel Riding Working Group; Travel Oregon.
Partial list of recent speaking engagements:
• National Bicycle Tourism Conference (2013, 2014)
• Two-Wheeled Tourism Panel; Waterford, Ontario, Canada (2014)
• ChangeMaker Program Events; University of San Diego, California (2014)
• Iowa State Tourism Conference; Council Bluffs, Iowa (2014)
• Community Meetings; Malvern, Perry, Ankeny, Iowa (2014)
• Texas Trails & Active Transportation Conference; Fort Worth, Texas (2014)
Contact us to learn more about developing and promoting your bicycle tourism destination.