Ride Bikes. Travel. Do Good.
In 2009, we sold everything we owned to travel by bike. Over the following three years, we pedaled across beautiful landscapes, connected with kind-hearted people, and explored dozens of small and rural communities – all while sharing stories from our travels, with the goal of inspiring others to also travel by bike.
Along the way, we began to recognize the ways in which bicycle travel can bring economic development to rural areas – and we began to partner with community members and rural tourism advocates to develop and grow the concept of bicycle tourism.
For us, bicycle tourism is about place-making, community development, and rediscovered hometown pride. It is a low-investment, low-impact, sustainable way to bring new people into an area, while maintaining the character that makes a community unique. Bicycle tourism is also a way to give back. We will never be able to repay the kindnesses we were shown while traveling, but we can pay it forward by helping others revitalize their communities via the bicycle.
“Russ and Laura are engaging, enthusiastic and their passion for bicycle tourism is contagious.” – Brooke Miller, Social Media Manager, Iowa Economic Development Authority
Now based out of Portland, Oregon, we work with communities and agencies who are using bicycling as an economic development tool.
Recent Projects & Highlights:
• In 2015, we launched our #RideBikesTravelDoGood campaign, aimed at recognizing people who are making the bicycle travel world better.
• When we’re not riding bikes, we’re fly-fishing. And, often, we combine the two: #BikeFishing
• In 2015, we launched the Bicycle Travel Channel, aimed at showcasing unlikely bicycling destinations and sharing the love of traveling by bike.
• Laura is currently an At-Large Board Member of The Bicycle Tour Network (2015-present), and has helped organize the annual National Bicycle Tourism Conference since 2014.
• We’re proud to be be Sponsored Riders of Salsa Bicycles, a great company promoting “Adventure by Bike.”
• In 2013, we participated in Travel Oregon’s Bike-Friendly Business Program Working Group, which helped the agency launch the nation’s first bike-friendly business program geared toward travelers.
Learn more about our background by reading our Essential Blog Posts.